Sunday, April 10, 2011

Some Inspiring Stuff

I thought I'd take a break from posting stories and post some links to a few videos that have recently pulled at my heartstrings.

1.  Thoughts of You:  This is probably the most amazing, emotional animated scene I've ever seen, and it's done entirely without faces.

2.  Sintel:  An amazing short film created in an open source program called Blender.  Very sad.

3.  The Little Match Girl:  Anyone who knows me knows that I love Disney (when they're at their best).  In no place will you find more efficient, emotional, engaging storytelling.  If you haven't seen "Tangled" go see it now, it's amazing, it overcomes some very major story issues by sheer emotional involvement.  It's the most beautiful animation I've ever seen on the big screen and the characters are unbelievably endearing. *cough, cough* Back to The Little Match Girl.  Little do most people realize, Disney has been making animated short films for the past fifteen years and releasing them on special edition Disney DVDs as extras.  There are a few good ones but the best is this.  It's an adaptation of a Russian fairy tale and it's heartbreaking.

(It seems there is a theme of heartbreak and sadness in all these videos which may lead you to believe I'm one of those depressive sorts.  I assure you I'm not...)

4.  Destino:  Weird and wonderful.  Way back when Walt Disney tried to make a short film with Salvador Dali, filled with his iconic imagery.  Sadly it was never finished but, sixty years later, Disney decided to take all the concept art and storyboards and finish the project.  I saw this at the LACMA a few years ago and it was wildly entertaining (odd note:  Dali loved baseball, so you'll see a lot baseball imagery is this thing).

I feel like leaving this off at four videos is a bit auspicious, three is a much better number, but I wanted throw in Destino because I saw that it was finally up on youtube.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment